At the most basic level, every membership makes UFF-FSU stronger, which gives us a stronger voice when lobbying the legislature or negotiating your Collective Bargaining Agreement, and this comes back to you in increased salary and improved working conditions. Peer reviewed studies have shown a direct correlation between faculty union membership density and their ability to bring benefits to their members.
However, UFF-FSU also provides a number of benefits that are only for dues-paying members:
- $1,000,000 professional liability insurance.
- $10,000 life insurance.
- $50,000 accidental death insurance.
- Two free, 30-minute, non-employment-related legal consultations. Tallahassee attorneys participating in this program are Levine & Stivers (850-222-6580) and Meyer & Brooks (850-878-5212). These consultations are for matters not related to your job (estate planning, wills, real estate, etc.). Work-related matters are handled by UFF-FSU through the University grievance procedure and, if necessary, UFF will provide legal representation if your grievance proceeds to arbitration.
- Discounts on home & auto insurance, and on publications.
- A voice in defining UFF negotiating priorities.
- UFF representation should you need to file a grievance (this benefit can easily be worth over $20,000 if a grievance goes to arbitration).
- The opportunity to participate in UFF-PAC, whereby small individual contributions are pooled to help create an effective voice for faculty in political campaigns.